St Davids Bishop's Palace
St. Davids Bishops Palace and Cathedral © Crown copyright (2013) Visit Wales
This imposing medieval palace stands in a grassy hollow next to purple-stoned St Davids Cathedral. Even in ruin, the palace - unequalled anywhere else in Wales - still conveys the affluence and power of the medieval church.
It is largely the work of the energetic Bishop Henry de Gower (1328-47). No expense was spared in creating a grand residence fit for a major figure of both Church and State. De Gower's palace boasted two complete sets of state rooms arranged around a courtyard, one for his own use, the other for ceremonious entertainment. The palace is richly embellished throughout with lavish stone carvings.
Telephone:- +44 1437 720517 - Access:- A487 to St Davids, minor road past Cathedral.
Cadw: Welsh Historic Monuments. Crown Copyright.
Copyright © Croeso Net 1998 -